[Radiance-general] Adding the sun to image based lighting environment

Anne Iversen iversen.anne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:56:49 PST 2009

Hi list,

I have tried to add a description of the sun to my ibl environment generated
from a chrome ball. However the ‘added’ description of the sun is not taken
into account. If anyone can guide me on how to proceed I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks!

Anne

Below I have given you information on

1)    Description of the lighting environment in Environment.rad

2)    The commands I have used to run the environment – with and without
mksource.

For mapping the chrome ball image to the environment I have applied the
following approach, taken from the ‘High Dynamic Range Imaging Book’:

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ad 1) Environment.rad:

void colorpict hdr_env
15 red green blue C_20091002ball at 10h44_tilt38.hdr mirrorsphere.cal sb_u sb_v
-i 1 -rx 90 -rz 8 -ry 0
0
0

# specify a "glow" material that will use this image
hdr_env glow env_glow
0
0
4 1 1 1 0

env_glow sphere sphereenv
0
0
4 0 0 0 -1000

 #To this I have added the description of the sun, the location of the sun
has been derived from the chrome ball image:

# simulation of the sun, radiance and location
void light lum_sun
0
0
3 46700 46700 46700

lum_sun source sun
-rx 90 -rz 8 -ry 0

0

4 0.6410 0.5537 -0.5315 0.5323

Ad 2) When running the environment I have used following approach:

Without mksource, just an oconv:

oconv Environment.rad > ibl1.oct

With mksource:

oconv Environment.rad > iblmksource.oct

mksource –a 0.5 iblmksource.oct > srcs.rad

oconv -i iblmksource.oct srcs.rad > ibl1.oct