[Radiance-general] How to simulate an artificial sun

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri May 29 10:40:47 PDT 2009

Hi Kai,

Is the 20,000 lux measured at the source or at the receiving surface?

You are best off using the "source" type with a 1.5-degree solid
angle, even though your source is not infinitely distant.  Do you
care very much about the fall-off at the edges of your model?  You
could create an aperture that passes the infinitely distant source --
essentially a large opaque ring with a 70 cm hole in the appropriate
place.  Does the behavior of the light source have to precisely
match, or is an approximation such as this good enough?

Does this make sense?
-Greg