[Radiance-general] Daysim Electirc Lighting energy calculation

Victor Li victorpermanent at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:04:01 PDT 2009

Christopher Rush : Thank you so much!

1, I defined the occupancy time is from 8:00 to 17:00. The result from
Daysim is 1568 hours totally in a year. However, i calculated it which is
1827 hours. According to the descirption of Daysim tutorial. Occupants leave
two times, one in the morning and one in the afternoon for 30 mins each time
and leave in lunchtime for one hour. So there are 9 hours from 8:00 to 17:00
one day. And occupants leave for 2 hours totally each day. So there are 7
hours occupancy time each day. Therefore, for one week there are 35 hours
from monday to friday. There are 365 days one year which is 52 weeks plus
one day.  the occupancy time for one year would be 35*52+7=1827 hours, which
is different to 1568 hours from Daysim result.

By the way, i donnot know how to calculate the total annual hours of
electric lighting in Daysim and i didnot find in Daysim tutorial. Anyone can
tell me?

2, Christopher Rush mentioned the daylight level i donot understand it. The
daylight value is the sky illuminance outside or the illuminance in the
room?  if it is for the inside room. I difined many illimance point. So
which one can control the blinds?

In my building, there is no blinds. However, i donot have the "no blinds"
option in my Daysim. what is wrong?

3, I looked the tutorial. For user behavior. it defined the active and
passive for when the blinds and lighting are open and when thay are closed.
However, in Lighting and shading control system, its function is to define
when thay are open and according to which control system, manual or other
sensor. So the two have the same function. i am confused hwo the blinds and
electric lighting perform in Daysim?

4 any one can answer this question?

5 If i define a sensor point, is the whole lighting system controlled by the
only sensor point?  if i define two. How is the lighting system controlled?