[Radiance-general] Daysim Electirc Lighting energy calculation

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Thu May 21 07:12:20 PDT 2009

There is actually a Daysim forum that can be found in Google Groups. You
can probably get more advanced advice there, and the software authors
track that message board. I'll give some general comments:

First, take a look at the tutorial which may answer your questions
better than I can
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ie/lighting/daylight/daysim/docs/DaysimTutoria
l.pdf

1. I'd recommend giving an example of the error you found to the Google
Group for review so it's more clear what the problem is.

2. I believe Daysim assumes that any time a daylight value over a
certain threshhold occurs that the user would draw the shades blinds and
cut the daylight value by an assumed percentage. If you're sure that
there will not be any shades there should be a "no blinds" option.

3. The user behavior for active or passive use (or mix) basically
guesses whether occupants will actively raise blinds when glare is no
longer present or will be passive and leave them closed most of the day.
I assume it's similar for user behavior with respect to switching of
lights, but I'm not sure if that's based on daylight or occupancy.

The Lighting and shading controls should relate to any automated control
system for the blinds or electric lights.

4. Good question for the Daysim Google Group.

5. If you set a particular work plane sensor I believe it will predict
energy on that one particular sensor instead of some other behavior, but
check the tutorial for better explanation.