[Radiance-general] rendering large space with small detail

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Wed May 20 20:40:20 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Evangelos Christakou wrote:

> Hi,
> Thinking about the difference between photorealism rendering and light
> visualization related in RWR chapter 1, pag 4 and 5. I'd like to
> elucidate some questions about this topic:
> Doing so, ( procedures included below by example), is still a
> phisically based simulation?
> Is it a valid procedure to predict how natural light behaves inside
> this space?
> Is it a valid method to get fast, acurate and predictive daylight
> calculation?

Hi Evangelos,

I'm a little confused by your email. Are you asking about the validity
of things such as mkillum in a predictive lighting calculation?
Because mkillum is most definitely a physically-based approach. As
with any simulation method, the user and his or her assumptions factor
into the equation, but using mkillum to essentially bring the direct
calculation closer to the surfaces of interest, when properly used, is
most definitely a valid procedure.

- Rob Guglielmetti