[Radiance-general] Rendering large space with small detail (small picture now attached!)

Paul Chilton p.chilton at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:39:01 PDT 2009

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your help.

I'll try to explain better what is happening in the image. As you look at
the image you are looking down the spine of a supermarket mall. Right in
front of the camera position is a void in the floor to the ground floor
below. On the immediate left (I assume this is the 'cove' you talk about) is
another space perpendicular to the mall which is a food court. To the right
and left are glazed shop fronts with the first shop front on the left
showing a reflection of the scene behind the camera position. The cubic
looking geometry are 1m high kiosks in the centre of the mall space. The
baffles hanging from the ceiling are internal shading devices which are
hiding a horizontal skylight above which stretches the length of the mall.
The left top strip of baffles are external shading devices covering the
vertical clerestory windows which again run the length of the mall.

The electric lighting you can see inside the shops fronts are very generic
and are simply there so that the shops don't look like dungeons for the
purpose of the image. The primary focus and motivation for the image is the
day light conditions in the mall space and so the mall space has no electric
lighting - just the shops.

The outside ambient conditions are a uniform sky.

You say;

'the easiest way to avoid splotchy artifacts is to bring the direct light
contributions closer and closer to the surfaces visible in the image'

I'm unsure exactly what you mean here as the direct light contributions are
the external sky and therefore how would you bring this closer to the
surfaces to create better resolution?

Thanks for your reccomendations on the variables, I'll try doubling the
variables you said were too low and seeing if that has a better effect.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Chilton

Renewable Energy Engineer