[Radiance-general] Rendering large space with small detail (small picture now attached!)

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Mon May 18 22:03:50 PDT 2009

Hi Paul,

Bottom line, the easiest way to avoid splotchy artifacts is to bring
the direct light contributions closer and closer to the surfaces
visible in the image. I'm having a hard time understanding what the
lighting design is in this image. There seems to be a cove or
something on the left, and some baffled ceiling condition to the right
of that, that changes in plan. maybe you could describe the lighting
design and the section of that ceiling? Where is the skylight and what
is the section of that in relation to this scene? What are the
characteristics of the media between the external daylight and the
interior scene? That information might inform a solution to these
rendering issues (because there may be a solution to them that takes
less than 20 hours to get results better than what you have posted).
Either way, for a scene this apparent size, the -ar seems low right
off the bat; also, the -ab is way high for an image (generally
speaking); and the -ad and -as are probably too low.