[Radiance-general] Sun angles,

Lars O. Grobe lars.grobe at nus.edu.sg
Mon Mar 23 11:10:58 PDT 2009

Hi!

> I am not sure if the software is considering sun angles in calculations.
(...)
> set skypar=($mon $day $hr +i $coord)
> echo "$month/$day/$hr">>$month.out
> oconv room.rad '\!gensky '"$skypar" sky.rad>hr.oct

You are rendering an intermediate sky /without/ sun. Check the manpage
of gensky about how to switch on the sun. Do a test using rvu, looking
up with a fish-eye view - if you do not see the sun, there will be
little contribution for direct sunlight. You can always test the output
of gensky - if there is no light modifier defined called solar, there
will be no sun (which is defined as solar source sun, by the way).

> mkillum -ab 0 -ad 1024 -av 0.1 0.1 0.1 hr.oct "<"
> windowillum.rad>illumination.rad

I think you do not want -ab 0 for mkillum. You do not calculate anything
here - setting the ambient parameters high, but calculating 0 bounces
(this means nothing) is not very reasonable. If you still have your
blinds there, run mkillum with 2, than 3 and 4, and find out if you have
significant changes.

> oconv -i hr.oct outside.rad Conv-0.rad illumination.rad>hour.oct
> rtrace -h -I -ab 1 -ad 4096 -as 128 -av 0 0 0

You should be able to reduce -ad here, a much lower value should be fine
and give a great gain in rendering speed.

> Let me know if there is anything wrong with this.

Done ;-)

CU Lars.