[Radiance-general] Rendering of normal map

Claus B. Madsen cbm at imi.aau.dk
Mon Mar 9 12:35:41 PDT 2009

Hi Lars,

your little hint concerning glow was the final push I needed to crack
the nut. It turned out to be even easier than I expected. Here is my
material specification (glow, modified by colorfunc, which calls a
normalshader.cal function file that I wrote, listed further down):

# Materials

void glow normalglow
0
0
4 1.0 1.0 1.0 -1

normalglow colorfunc normalshadermaterial
4 red green blue normalshader.cal
0
0

The normalshader.cal looks like this (thanks to Greg for making function
files so easy to use and versatile):

{
  normalshader.cal

  Look in RADIANCE/lib/rayinit.cal for more info on builtin funcs and vars
}

red = (Nx + 1)/2;
green = (Ny + 1)/2;
blue = (Nz + 1)/2;

A example normal map is attached. It looks a little ugly because it is a
triangle mesh constructed from a stereo camera scan of an outdoor scene
(color image attached, too).

Best,

Claus