[Radiance-general] Rendering of normal map

Lars O. Grobe lars.grobe at nus.edu.sg
Mon Mar 9 02:32:55 PDT 2009

Hi!
> I wish to use Radiance to render a normal map of a scene. By normal map
> I mean a floating point RGB image, where the RGB values of each pixel
> correspond to the xyz coordinates of the surface normal in scene
> coordinates. More precisely, for example for the red channel:
>
>     R = (Nx + 1)/2

I think I'd use rtace with -oN, pipe the result to rtrace to calculate
your channel value, and convert the output into a radiance hdr format
using pvalue.

I guess that, if you want to do all this with rpict and render the
surfaces "in your scene", you could try the glow modifier as a material
to modify. Just as a starting point.

CU Lars.