[Radiance-general] Re: Glazing transparency/reflectivity study

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Fri Jan 16 06:51:56 PST 2009

Hi Galen,

It has been a while, but I think that the color/tint comes from the rgb
values for the coated glass. So the color would be conveyed by "VE2-2M
on Evergreen" monolithic export from Optics 5. So this should account
for the color of the coated glass. However, I think that I have to defer
to Greg on this for confirmation.

Note for Viracon:

    <type><color>-<transmittance>

    so
    type = VE = Low-E
    color = 2 = Green
    transmittance = 2M = ~70%

    if you want "Evergreen" you need to look at color 8.... so VE8-2M

One way to sanity check is to run a single layer output from glaze and
specify s1 as clear and s2 as VE2-2M on evergreen. The last three lines
of the material description should give you:

    Rext_r Rext_g Rext_b
    Rint_r Rint_g Rint_b
    Tr Tg Tb

The rgb components should be the same as those exported from Optics5
(even though you are specifying "clear" for one layer).

Hope this helps.

-Jack

Galen Burrell wrote:
> Thanks Jack.
>
> All seems clear and I've got some results that I'm pretty happy with.  One thing I'm still a little unclear about is how you would apply a low-e film to a non-clear glass (i.e. tinted green, blue, etc) if the script requires one surface to be "clear" for each pane.
>
> For example:
> VE2-2M (http://www.viracon.com/makeupsheet.php?id=3840) has the VE-2M coating applied to Evergreen glass on the #2 surface.  As it is now, I would input:
> Surface 1 - Clear
> Surface 2 - VE2-2M on evergreen (from optics 5 data)
> Surface 3 - Clear
> Surface 4 - Clear
>
> Is there an easy hack to make Surface 1 evergreen instead of clear?
>
> Thanks,
> Galen

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction