[Radiance-general] Glazing transparency/reflectivity study

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Jan 14 15:08:02 PST 2009

Hi Galen,

You should probably consider the glaze script to produce a material
description for your glazing. I think that this will you get the most
sophisticated description for a glass material. You can incorporate data
that is output from Optics for single monolithic glass types to build up
double pane insulating units if needed. A coating can be applied to a
selected layer of the make-up. Note, that using the simple BRTDfunc
description output from Optics (unless this has been updated in the past
few years) does not account for variation due to incident angle. There
is actually a way to set up the glaze script so it accepts a file of
glass types as input rather than using the rather minimal inputs that
come with script.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will do the best I can to
help out.

-Jack

Galen Burrell wrote:

> I'm considering doing a study comparing the transparency (as viewed
> from outside) of two glazing types on a building modeled in
> radiance.  The study would render several viewpoints (and view angles
> looking up the facade) for the multiple glass types under a variety of
> sky conditions (sunny, cloudy, etc).  The primary goal of the study
> would be to as follows:
>
> 1. Demonstrate how exterior transparency changes with different glass
> types (with different coatings and exterior reflectances)
> 2. Demonstrate how exterior transparency changes with angle of incidence
> 3. Demonstrate how exterior transparency changes based on ratio of
> interior to exterior illuminance (or more accurately, luminances).
>
> I'm only interested in this as a comparative study: does glass type A
> look clearer than glass type B when viewed at X angle and under Y sky
> condition, and Z interior/exterior illuminance ratio.
>
> My question to the list is:
> 1. Comments on the usefulness of this study?
> 2. Advantage of using Optics 5 rad file (BRTDfunc) over glass
> primitive?  My understanding is it more accurately captures the color
> of the glass and reflectivity... anything else?
>

> Thanks,
> Galen

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction