[Radiance-general] Curved Longitude Lines - Raytracing Brain Teaser

Lars O. Grobe lars.grobe at nus.edu.sg
Wed Feb 18 21:59:50 PST 2009

Hi David,

I did not really get what you really want to achieve. What kind of a sky
coordinate grid are you refering to? It looks like you want to create a
projection of the longitudonal lines of a hemisphere, right? What
projection do you refer to when saying hemispherical view? What I see on
the image looks a lot like a parralel proction of the dome, so the
lines's coordinated could be calculated from spherical coordinates,
obtained from the horizontal and vertical angle and radius, and ignoring
the third coordinate (for the image you just need the two dimensions),
transfered into cartesian coordinates. If you write down the formulas
for this, you should be able to combine to something much simpler
describing the parabolic curves. But I am not sure if I really got your
intention yet.

So do you want a parallel projection of a hemisphere with longitudonal
lines?

Lars.