[Radiance-general] raypcalls

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:57:07 PST 2009

Hi Ignacio,

This thread probably belongs on the development group, where I'm
cross-posting.  Please respond from that list.

There is no call to explicitly kill child processes in raypcalls, but
you could add one.  It would also be possible to modify the ray_pclose
() call to explicitly kill its children rather than waiting for them
to return after end-of-input.  We wouldn't be able to report status,
but it would be unusual (and probably irrelevant) for an error to
occur during process termination, anyway.

In a command-line program, using Control-C normally kills all
processes in a group, and so would lead to early termination for
children without the wait.  In the latest version of rvu, rather than
killing the child processes when the user begins input, I take their
input while the children crank away in the background, then process
the user command after waiting for the remaining rays.  Normally, the
delay is not noticeable with this approach.

Best,
-Greg