[Radiance-general] rtrace -n question

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Dec 18 10:23:48 PST 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 11:15 AM, John Mardaljevic wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I too was somewhat bemused/confused re: virtual cores.  If you find the opportunity, could you also test it with totally independent jobs?  In fact, varying multiple instances of the same job would do.  I'd dearly like to have my scepticism refuted.

Lemme see what I can do. Turns out, my recollection of rpict scaling was related to a different test I did, where I subdivided a view into 40 tiles and sent them off to a cluster, not to my local machine. So in that case it should have been expected that I got a linear speed-up because it was distributed to different physical cores. But I did do a test of mkillum with the -n option and I thought I saw a linear increase to 15 on my local machine. This was a little while ago and I'll have to dig it up and look closely at it, as well as do a proper test of rtrace. I'll let you know what I find out but I'm not optimistic at this point. =8-/

- Rob