[Radiance-general] translucent panel ( trans material )

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Dec 17 06:08:27 PST 2009

Hi Coralie and Achim,

A couple of comments. Optics 5 models thermal and spectral optical
properties of a wide range of glazing based on measured data. However it
does not contain a model for for diffusely transmitting materials. So
for modeling complex glazing systems and exporting data for use in the
"glaze" script it is a great place to start, however it will not help
with the kind of data that it looks like Coralie has available, which
suggests a material with a large diffuse transmitting component.

There are a few things to note about the information that Coralie
provided. One is that it looks like one side is "shiny" or specular
while the other is "mat" or diffuse. The trans material will not give
you control over what happens on each side of the material. Based on
this alone it is likely that this is a material that would be better
characterized using the BRTDfunc material type. This allows for more
flexibility in describing material behavior. However, this being said
there is one thing that is a little puzzling (there are others who may
chime in on this who know more), this is that your measurments show
different transmittance (total) depending on the side of the material.
Is this possible? This certainly cannot be modeled with the "trans"
material type.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

--