[Radiance-general] material trans and glass?

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Dec 11 09:35:44 PST 2009

Hi...

> What do you mean by this, Lars? Trans is merely a material that can model
> diffuse transmittance, glass cannot. Both materials are used for daylight
> apertures. Maybe I don't understand your statement (always a possibility).

The cause of confusion was the typo in the original email. The original aim of the experiment was to compare glass and trans for the same set-up (so the question could arise why results were not the same). This comparision is only possible for clear glass. I tried to express that, as far as I understood, trans is not ment for this case, and I would not expect 100% identical results.

However, it may be interesting to have a comparision of the three modifiers

- glass
- dielectric
- trans

to really quantify the variance for a given scene. Maybe for only direct calculation, and then for some ambient bounces. I will take a look at my copy of RwR to see where to expect differences. However, we do not even know how far off the two results were, so the discussion is a bit lacking of the numbers.

Cheers,

Lars.