[Radiance-general] material trans and glass?

Andrew McNeil andrew.mcneil at arup.com
Fri Dec 11 08:35:03 PST 2009

Hi Victor,

Transmisivity is the amount of light NOT absorbed in one pass through the
glazing.  Glass is a special case of dielectric optimized for glass that
accounts for angular dependence of transmission and inter-reflection between
front and back surfaces  (but is only modeled as a single surface in
radiance).  The reason for using transmissivity I believe is related to the
desire to maintain a valid input range of 0-1 for the parameters instead of
something like 0 - 0.92.

You can find the equation to get transmisivity given transmittance at the
bottom of this page:
http://www.schorsch.com/rayfront/manual/dielectricdef.html

A glazing with reported VLT of 0.325 has a transmisivity of 0.354 so the
material definition would be as follows:
void glass glazing.325
0
0
3  0.354  0.354  0.354

And your other question - The first three parameters of trans is color which
affect transmission and reflection.  Trans does not include inter-reflection
or angular transmission properties exhibited by glass so the input values
are transmission.
Also on this page there is a nice diagram describing how trans works:
http://www.schorsch.com/rayfront/manual/transdef.html

Andy