[Radiance-general] material trans and glass?

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Dec 10 10:23:31 PST 2009

Hi!

>> in material definition, trans is a special type of glass. i used
>> trans to define a glass like the following:

Hm, I never heard anyone calling trans a special case of glass.

glass: special case of dielectric, for thin objects (a 1d-approach)
plastic: special case of trans with no transmission

The definition of a trans material usually requires some calculation, as the range of the parameters is usually not all that intuitive. I would also not expect exactly the same results, as both materials are optimized for different applications. The transmissive specularity of 0.3 you use in your trans material also certainly does not match the perfectly clear glass material.

Especially I do not understand why using trans to be able to get daylight illuminance. It is not really made for this. Is there a special reason that you cannot use the glass modifier?

Cheers,

Lars.