[Radiance-general] Using SSLD skies with sun

David Smith dbs176 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 06:24:09 PDT 2009

> Second, gensky manipulates the sun position when coming close to the
> zenith and sets it to 87.5 altitude. I am in a tropical country, where
> this 90 degrees can be reached.

The sun hits a zenith of 90 at any position between the Tropic of
Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. A few degrees above and below the
tropics hit a zenith of 87.5.

A short while ago I modified and recompiled gensky, changing 87.5 to
89.9 in lines 218-225 (
http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2005-December/003118.html
).

Has anybody else done this and run into problems?

I think if the zenith is at 90.0, the -vu vector may get messy if
you're translating the gensky output into a camera showing the sun's
view, which was my reasoning for 89.9.

--Dave