[Radiance-general] fatal XIO - newbie

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 23:46:03 PDT 2009

The free ATI drivers in X.org are actually fairly mature and stable. I
personally would not ever go for nVidia.

If you are using a distro which default-enables Compiz desktop effects,
such as Ubuntu, try disabling them:

System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects

Ubuntu defaults to a setting which give you semi-tranparent windows,
smooth animations when launching apps or switching desktop. It's called
'Normal' in the control panel, When set to 'Extra', all the whizz-bang
is enabled, leaving OSX and Windows 7 in the dust.

Try setting it to 'None', and see if your problem goes away. I had a
similar problem on an Ubuntu box with nVidia card some time ago. rvu
would launch, but then get stuck for up to 30 seconds. The fix described
aboved sorted the problem.

Axel