[Radiance-general] Comparison of values measured by sensors and calculated with Radiance

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Apr 1 11:35:14 PDT 2009

Hi Sung,

Try adding the following parameters to your rtrace command:

	-dj .7 -dt 0

How sure are you of your surface reflectances?  Did you actually
measure the lamp output, or are you assuming the manufacturer's lumen
specification is correct?  How far off are your values?

Since you notice the most errors near to the lamp and at low angles,
it's possible that the Fresnel effects are important.  The emission
of the fluorescent phosphor may be considered diffuse, but the actual
output of the lamp will be a function of angle due to Fresnel
reflection of the glass bulb.  You can account for this
(approximately) by applying the "winxmit.cal" function included with
Radiance, like so:

void brightfunc Fresnel_effect
2 winxmit winxmit.cal
0