[Radiance-general] objview & rvu -n

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Thu Nov 20 15:34:02 PST 2008

Hi Greg, et al.,

I have been playing with the new -n (#proc) switch you added to rvu.
That is really, really nice.  I use objview all the time to preview
scenes, set views and check geometry, and the speedup on our quad core
machines is really great!  I thought I might be able to hack objview to
support this new switch, but it looks like objview relies on rad to
create the scene and defaults to x11 as the output, spawning rvu.  Is
there a way to pass the number of processors available to the new rvu,
via an objview command?

I see you can also pass one of the standard rad views in lieu of the
default XYZ; is there a way to specify a saved view, or is this a
limitation of the way the script is all pipelined through rad?  This is
the first time I've really looked at the objview script, and I don't
immediately see a way to get the desired options sent to rvu.