[Radiance-general] Color reflectance values and materials..

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Nov 6 00:17:22 PST 2008

> Anyway, as a start it might be worth thinking about a central web based material depository where we all can share our own creations. The display format can be a simple list with mat, cal, pic files and a little preview.
> Anyone interested in starting that?

Maybe one should first consider a database of measured values. Based on
this, one could implement a material editor that could query that
database and give a radiance material definition as a result. The
advantage is that I could compile the material data available into a
description fitting the needs of my specific application. It is
important to keep in mind that our measurements and simulations not only
have a degree of accuracy but also a scale. A material for a wall of
bricks is not only depending on exterior influences (dirt, humidity,
vegetation) but also on the scale we look at it - from far a way it will
be sufficient to define it as one uniform color, sampled e.g. over
2mx2m, from a close point of view I would want to have a brick texture
including the different colors of brick and mortar, and for a detail
view I would need the color and structure of only the brick itself, as
the mortar would be a different material. Just one very simple example,
other materials are much more difficult. Still sharing the measured
values (including very detailed descriptions of object and set-up) would
be very useful for the secondary materials, those that a simulation not
really focuses on and could be approximated. Think I would be interested
in contributing.

CU Lars.