Re-2: [Radiance-general] Color reflectance values and materials..

Erwin Zierler radiance at rendigo.com
Wed Nov 5 23:19:43 PST 2008

I have been thinking about a material library/editor for a while too. For many  needs it would be probably sufficient to have a basic database with the simpler materials (plastic, metal, glass,...) but as soon as it comes to more complex/combined materials the task of providing a useful interface becomes more of a challenge. Schorsch has addressed this with his material editor in Rayfront but this is not targeting beginners. I think that for many users it would be just fine to have something similar to the colorpicker tool (http://www.luxal.eu/resources/radiance/cp4r.shtml), maybe extended with the functionality of adding at least your own custom textures (image uplaod) to basic materials.
Anyway, as a start it might be worth thinking about a central web based material depository where we all can share our own creations. The display format can be a simple list with mat, cal, pic files and a little preview.
Anyone interested in starting that?

Regards,
 Erwin