[Radiance-general] Clipping in a parallel view?

David Smith dbs176 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:45:30 PST 2008

Rob and Thomas,

Ah, I was visualizing a sphere at infinity, centered on -vp with a
camera on the sphere pointed in the direction of -vd as opposed to a
plane within the model at -vp, with a normal of -vd that casts out
parallel rays. I misinterpreted the phrase "center of a parallel
projection" in the rpict man page for -vp. I guess the plane version
makes more sense when you start to throw clipping planes into the mix.
A negative -vo clipping plane an interesting concept, I hadn't
considered that.

I was looking at views from the sun, so I just subtracted a huge
multiple of the -vd vector from the -vp position and everything worked
out well.

Thank you very much,

--Dave