[Radiance-general] Clipping in a parallel view?

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Tue Nov 4 08:54:52 PST 2008

On 4 Nov 2008, at 16:27, David Smith wrote:

> Hello raytracers,
>
> I've occasionally come across object clipping in some parallel views
> without setting any clipping plane. I've always assumed that the
> camera for parallel views was at infinity and everything in the scene
> was visible to it.

Everything in front of the camera, yes. The camera plane cuts through
the rectangle and only the parts in front of the plane are shown.

> I've included an example below that clips the corner of a rectangle.
> Is there a workaround to this, say, a simple conversion to a parallel
> view from very far away?

The simple solution is to set the -o clipping plane to a negative value.
In your example '-o -8' is enough to show all of the rectangle.

For a view spec without clippings you have to add the inverse of your
view direction to your view point until everything is shown. Basically
you're moving the camera backwards but for a parallel view there is
no difference.

Regards,
Thomas