[Radiance-general] ICC profiles

iebele info at iebele.nl
Thu May 29 12:39:13 PDT 2008

Hi again,

I'm still thinking about the data provide by ICC files. Somehow I think
it should be possible to calculate the top of the luminance range for
the target output device (-u option of normtiff), given a set of
photometric measurements which I believe an ICC profile provides. I
tried to figure out _what_ precisely is measured in the "SpectroScan"
section of the ICC file (attached), but even the support team of Epson
could not answer that question. Maybe one of you does?

Also I wonder how to calculate the 'dynamic range for the target output
device ' (-d option of normtiff) This is said to be 32 for CRT monitors
in the manpage. I have no clue how to obatin this value for other output
devices.

The only option I know for sure in normtiff is the gamma option, which
it adjustable for Epson printers (1.5, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 ).

Today I spent some time reading High Dynamic Range Imaging. Although
most of the math is just magic for me, I understand the issue. I wonder
however how much this issue is known by photo-labs and printing
services. I wonder also how much of this knowledge is implemented in
contemporary printing-technology. I don't know, if one of you does,
please tell me. The funny thing is that operators say "O wow,
32bit/channel images, great, no problem!" But in fact they convert the
file to the printer's actual output, which  is 8 bit/channel. This is a
kind of a communication problem, which I believe has to be solved at my
side. I really like to be able to provide the photo-lab 'just' a
standard  8bit/channel image. I understand such an image can not look as
perfect in print as it does in RGB monitor color space. But can we come
close to 'perfect' using proper calculations?

-Iebele