[Radiance-general] Pattern on tilted surfaces

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Thu Mar 27 14:52:16 PDT 2008

On 27 Mar 2008, at 11:05, Kai Babetzki wrote:

> This is the r_hole.cal file:
>
> {
>   square holes
>   A1 = length
>   A2 = distance
>
> }
>
> a=A1+A2;
> result=if(zhole,0,1);
> next_dotx= a /2-mod(U,a);
> next_doty= a /2-mod(V,a);
> zhole=if(sq(arg(1)/2)-sq(next_dotx)-sq(next_doty),1,0);

[...]
> This functions works properly for vertical and horizontal surfaces.
> For tilted surfaces the pattern is getting smaller all the more you
> tilt a vertical to a horizontal surface. I tried to play around the
> r_hole.cal file but I was not  able to figure out, what screw I had
> to rotate. Hopefully, there is someone out there who can give me a
> hand.

I think the simplest way is to keep the pattern material definition
and the
window (vertical or horizontal) polygon in one file and then move and
rotate
this file into place with xform:

!xform -rx 20 -t .... window_and_pattern.rad
!xform -rx 30 -rz 45 -t ... window_and_pattern.rad

There are some .cal files out there that allow a rotation argument
but you
have to define every angle of the glazing as a separate pattern.

Thomas