[Radiance-general] Pattern on tilted surfaces

Kai Babetzki babetzki at transsolar.com
Thu Mar 27 04:05:52 PDT 2008

Dear Radiance Community,
first I want to thank Greg and Mark for their helpful hints concerning
my soft shadow problem. Both ways worked very well (using jitter = 0.7
or sligthly disslocated suns).
Now I'm facing a new problem. I want to simulatate a window with a
pattern for sun protection. In the archive I found something like the
following:

void plastic-10 pattern_10
0
0
5 .1 . 1 .1 .03 .02

void mixfunc pattern_round
4 pattern_10 void result r_hole.cal
0
2 .003 .002

This is the r_hole.cal file:

{
  square holes
  A1 = length
  A2 = distance

}

a=A1+A2;
result=if(zhole,0,1);
next_dotx= a /2-mod(U,a);
next_doty= a /2-mod(V,a);
zhole=if(sq(arg(1)/2)-sq(next_dotx)-sq(next_doty),1,0);

pattern_round polygon window_with_pattern
0
0
12

This functions works properly for vertical and horizontal surfaces. For
tilted surfaces the pattern is getting smaller all the more you tilt a
vertical to a horizontal surface. I tried to play around the r_hole.cal
file but I was not  able to figure out, what screw I had to rotate.
Hopefully, there is someone out there who can give me a hand.

Thanks and best regards,
Kai