[Radiance-general] Big Radiance rendering on HiPerWall

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 07:31:16 PDT 2008

Jack, Rob,

I did a short talk about building the piece at SIG06, and again
(with a little more detail, and more production images) to an art
group here in Boston last year. Here are both PDFs:

http://mark.technolope.org/image/sketches_0621_Mark_Stock.pdf
(start at page 10)

http://mark.technolope.org/image/talk_collusion/collision_talk_5.pdf
(start at page 35)

In summary:

> How did you generate the geometry?
My fluid PhD code made the underlying mesh, a simple custom
program created an open-topped box above every triangle.

> How did you decide how to light the scene?
I wanted an alien sky, so I used my skycolor.cal file with a pink
zenith and colder (bluish) horizon. Actually, there must have
been an error in the .cal file, because the horizon is pretty
noisy. I didn't fix it because it added some nice, odd colors to
the polygons that were facing down.

> How long did your scene take to to render?
602 hours. I think I spread the job across two single-core
machines that I have here at home.

Mark