[Radiance-general] Modeling printed glass with dielectric material

francesco.frontini at polimi.it francesco.frontini at polimi.it
Mon Jun 23 11:35:08 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I have a question concerning dielectric and how to model correctly
printed stripe (fritted glass) on a surface of dielectric material.

According to the reference manual, " Ordinary dielectrics are
surrounded by a vacuum". But in my case, the transition between the
dielectric and the print color is different to the transition from
dielectric to vacuum. And since I'll have the printed stripes on
different layers, the difference is significant.

My purpose is to simulate with Radiance a laminated glass with fritted
stripes on the surface in-between the two laminated glass sheets. I
want to check the view to the outside and the transmission of such
fritted glass.

I already modeled the stripe as a plastic surface with a very small
gap between the two panes of glass. But I obtained wrong result
because of the air gap between the stripe and the dielectric (glass)
panes.

Any idea how to model this correctly?

What happens, if the dielectric is not completely "boxed", but parts
of the "box" replaced by plastic material?

Thanks in advance

Francesco Frontini