[Radiance-general] Cumulative calculations of irradiance

Iván Pajares Sánchez defunkt at pobox.com
Thu Jun 5 02:35:36 PDT 2008

Hello group,

I am working out some simulations to get some figures that help me
estimate irradiance on a building for thermal load comparison. What I am
trying to do is to gauge the range of numbers one can get and the
differences in different part of the building so I have a basis to speak
to the engineer.

To do this I generate my Radiance model with only one material to start
with with 50% reflectance. I generate a 1/2 hour series of renderings
(with -i switch on).
Afterwards I add up the irradiances with pcomb to get one picture from
which to get the falsecolor scale in kWh / m2.

I'm using falsecolor with -m = 0.001 to get the output in kWh / m2 to
get daily cumulative irradiances. Is this approach correct?

I'm doing this because RADMAP for windows fails to work (even the
example files that come with it) so I wanted to play around with
radiance and learn something on the way.

I guess my next step is to feed real irradiance data into radiance and
foloow the procedure outlined before, Am I in the proper direction?

Thanks for any feedback!

Iván Pajares