[Radiance-general] gendaylit license

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Fri Jul 18 02:45:08 PDT 2008

Hi,

> We discussed that within our group and decided to simplify the license.
> From now on, you can use it also for commercial products and it can be
> easily included in packages.
> We only want to be acknowledged - which is similar to the RADIANCE
> license. Details: see README file of the package.

This sounds good, thanks a lot! Although I'd suggest for your own safety
(please note that I'm not a lawyer...) to
- require that the copyright information is kept in the files
- require that the *license* is not removed from the source. At the
moment you're alloweing me to share the files without any license
information...
- add a disclaimer which tells people that they can't sue you if your
software fucked up their system.. or so. Although I'm not a lawyer and
don't know if you need that or now, in my optinion it's better to have it.

While I appreciate free licenses, I'd still suggest to stick with a
license like the one radiance uses (which is the older BSD license) or,
if you're looking for a really free one, use the ISC license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_license

And the other question is: Does Greg want to include gendaylit into
Radiance, or would it make sense? With such a license this would be
possible.

Cheers,

Bernd

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79