[Radiance-general] Radiance vs radiosity

yijun huang yijunhuang at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:37:25 PST 2008

Hi Lucio,

For a convincing quantitative (also some qualitative) comparison between raytracing (Radiance) and radiosity (Lightscape), the following may be useful:

Kopylov, E. A., A. B. Khodulev, and V. L. Volevich (1998). Physically Accurate Lighting Simulation in Computer Graphics Software. Moscow, Moscow State University, Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics, Russian Academy of Sciences

The only caveat is that this study seems (i did not verify) to be funded by INTEGRA (Specter, the Japanese raytrace system) and does not seem to be published in any peer-reviewed system I am familiar with. I can't remember where I found that paper (in fact the citation might be inaccurate) but an earlier version (excluding the 3rd author) is available at http://www.keldysh.ru/pages/cgraph/articles/pals/index.htm

A. Khodulev and E. Kopylov, "Physically accurate lighting simulation in computer graphics software," presented at the Sixth International Conference on Computer Graphics and Visualization, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1-5 July 1996

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
YC Huang
Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics
Carnegie Mellon University