[Radiance-general] New installation

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Fri Jan 11 13:46:25 PST 2008

On 11 Jan 2008, at 15:38, wjr wrote:
> [...] And now I want to render my models on the SUN. It is
> difficult to find rendering software to run on this platform
> ( other than Blender) And sometimes it's difficult to install.

I'm sure you should find quite a few rendering packages in the open
source
corner that would even work on Solaris. They might not be all that
easy to
use, though. But then neither is Radiance.
> That's where I am with Radiance. I'm having difficulty installing
> Radiance on the Sun. Can you help me out? I've downloaded the
> files, unzipped them and tried to run "makeall" as it described in
> the "Readme" file. But it will not run.

First thing: You need to have development tools installed (c-
compiler, etc).

Second: It should be "makeall install" (but I think that's what you
wanted to say).

Third: It certainly did not do "nothing". The command line "makeall
install" will have
some sort of result. Even a "command not found" would tell us more
about your problems.

> I've tried just 'clicking' on the icon, (nothing),

Forget about the mouse. Radiance will be a whole new (command line)
experience.
> I've tried opening a shell and command-line, (nothing), I've tried
> both ways as 'user' and 'root' (nothing).  What am I missing?

More details about your system (development tools) and the reaction
of the shell
when you try to run "makeall install"
> Please send help

Please send details ;)