[Radiance-general] BRTF for glazing (was: experiences with the photon map)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Dec 10 03:43:00 PST 2008

> A remark from me: I never use BRTF in RADIANCE now, since all the
> angular information you put into your model is lost for the glow
> material. That means, if you model a specific sky luminance distribution
> and you are using BTDF-func, no angular information of your BTDF-model
> is used! It is treated lambertian ! And this is especially hard, if you
> want to model a system, which is intended to redirect the bright zenith sky.
>  If I model advanced glazings, I use either standard glass and modify it
> by brightfunc or for high reflective materials I use a mixfunc of glass
> (+brightfunc) and metal. I always check the angular transmission and
> reflection of the model by a virtual measuement - and I also test, if it
> still works for the sky.
Hi Jan, hi list,

one more late reply to this. At the moment I am setting up the materials
for a model with known specifications for the glazing, but I do not have
samples to measure. So if I want to get a material description e.g. for
a double-glazing including coating and such, I use the script glaze to
have some reasonable values that I could not produce else (and I can
write this down as a reproduceable routine for the docs). I could use
Optics and access the glazing database, but for some strange reason it
requires administrator access to a Windows maching that I do not have at
the moment (did anyone manage to open the database file using something
like Openoffice?) - but also Optics would give me brtf modifiers.

Did anyone try to model such glazings in radiance, using dielectric and
interface? What are you using for defining glass panes if no samples to
measure are available? Ah, and one more question (which leads me back to
the idea of modeling glazing), what about glazings that consist of
laminated glass panes + non-uniform laminate (such as printed screens
for sun protection or advertising), would it be possible to model these
using dielectric&interface, having one (very) thin layer for the
laminate modified by a pattern and two dielectric layers of glass on
both sides? Is it complete nonsense to try modeling such layers
geometrically (there will be a limit as the thinnest layers surfaces may
get too close to each other)? Or is all this trouble about considering
the coatings and such only introducing error, and a simple clear glass
definition ignoring the coating would still be "better" to use?

TIA&CU... Lars.