[Radiance-general] experiences with the photon map

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:55:35 PST 2008

Jan's comment:

> But Greg  presented at the workshop the BTDF implementation into
> mkillum
> - this seems to me a very good approach to calculate the advanced
> window
> systems! So this can probably solve your problem now. But I don't
> know,
> how it treats the sky and if the angular information is also "lost".
> This is also new to me - I haven't tested it yet.

This should be working for the angular distribution of the sky,
though mkillum with the BTDF input hasn't been fully validated at
this point.  Any help in that direction will be greatly appreciated.

The BSDF types in Radiance only work for "highlights" currently --
indirect components default to diffuse, as you point out.  I am
looking at ways to correct this in future releases, now that BSDF
data is becoming more available, thanks in large part to Peter A-B
and his continuing efforts to improve the measurement side of things.

Best,