[Radiance-general] Another rpiece question

David Smith dbs176 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:00:02 PDT 2008

I'm a little bit confused about rpiece and multiple processors. So
rpiece can take rpict arguments, and -PP is an rpict argument telling
it to fork as necessary, is it a good idea to pass that along to
rpiece?

Out of curiosity, I tried running enough rpiece -PP commands for each
processor and wound up with a bunch of rpieces running but only one of
those had rpicts that were actually doing anything. Additionally, I
think rpict thought it as doing a sequence of frames. The images
appear to be rendering, but is this the proper method? Are rpict -PP
and rpiece mutually exclusive on platforms that support both?

Thanks in advance,
--Dave

P.S. - Here's the process tree from htop:

`[...two more rpiece's like the first two below]

`- rpiece -v -PP pp -F syncfile @viewpoint @options @arguments
|   `- rpict -S 1 -PP pp -w -i [...]
|       `- rpict -S 1 -PP pp -w -i [...]
`- rpiece -v -PP pp -F syncfile @viewpoint @options @arguments