[Radiance-general] rpict, rtrace start up time and number of sources

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Apr 17 14:52:31 PDT 2008

> My 1800 sources are in a large scene -- the octree is a few hundred
> megs, I think.

OK, that is strange. I try to list the more or less special characteristics.

- use of instances
- use of mesh primitives
- colorpict mappings
- lots of lights (about 1850)
- light sources are grouped into spheres, that are processed by mkillum.
the illum alt material is an invisible trans type

The rpict process takes about 510MB, already being optimized for memory
using instances as mentioned.

Should I get some debugging tools installed to check which functions use
up all the time at the beginning of occluder-cached renderings?

CU Lars.