[Radiance-general] compile options, fast-math on gcc

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Apr 16 14:12:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

as (according to Mark's benchmarks) more and more people start to use
the fast-math switch when compiling using gcc, I want to share my
experience that this option, while improving performance, may lead to
the mysterious "zero ray direction in localhit" errors. I have
experienced those a lot when using this kind of "optimization", which
led me to many many restarts of interrupted renderings, and solved the
problem using a new compile with more standard-friendly parameters.

Just a hint... CU Lars.