[Radiance-general] Bash error message

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Thu Apr 3 15:00:11 PDT 2008

On 3 Apr 2008, at 19:03, Angela Giladi wrote:

> Hello,
>

> After weeks of trying to understand this parallel universe which is
> Cygwin and Radiance, I finally reached the stage where I could
> attempt to follow the instructions in the introduction to
> ‘Rendering with Radiance’, 2003.

Agreed. You'd be much better of using Linux or OS X if any of it is
available to you.
Have you tried the LEARNiX bootable CD before?
> And my first attempt produced the following error message:
>
> $ rvu -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct
>
> bash: rvu: command not found
>
> I am googled-out.
>
> I have tried tirelessly to understand the workings of this new
> language and, in Newbie-speak, perhaps this is a PATH issue?

Possible.

Simple test: run the command with the full path instead of only the
command name

$ /cygdrive/ray/bin/rvu -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd ....

If that works it is a PATH issue and you have to add the directory
where all your compiled
Radiance programs reside to your $PATH environment variable. In short
this is a list of
directories in which the bash will search for a command.

You can read something about configuring your environment here:

http://cs.nyu.edu/~yap/prog/cygwin/FAQs.html
Please note that I have no experience with Cygwin myself and that I
can only give you
generic Unix advice. This should still work in general terms because
Cygwin is just
creating a Unix like environment under Windows.

Hth,
Thomas