[Radiance-general] Bash error message

Angela Giladi angela at giladi-associates.com
Thu Apr 3 11:03:31 PDT 2008

Hello,

After weeks of trying to understand this parallel universe which is
Cygwin and Radiance, I finally reached the stage where I could attempt
to follow the instructions in the introduction to 'Rendering with
Radiance', 2003.

And my first attempt produced the following error message:

$ rvu -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct

bash: rvu: command not found

I am googled-out.

I have tried tirelessly to understand the workings of this new language
and, in Newbie-speak, perhaps this is a PATH issue?

I compiled Radiance (several times - still got errors) from the latest
radiance tar files, and I am using CygwinX.

A bit of background - Before this first attempt I was familiarizing
myself with CygwinX/Radiance. The first issue for me was that many of
the exe files were not in the bin directory, but nicely organized under
src (source?) and several sub-directories eg util. I compared the
directories to the ones that were compiled with Francesco Anselmo's
binaries for Cygwin (yes, I did that too) and the directories are very
different. I am now confused as how to set up the PATH.

Second issue was that the rvu.exe file was not installed at all. I did
copy the rvu.exe (into bin) file from Anselmo's Cygwin installation, as
well as the bash_profile file where he sets up the different PATHS (into
Cygwin directory). I did of course change the file to my setup.

Many thanks for any help offered - (please)

Angela