[Radiance-general] Looking for some pubblications for my thesys.

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Oct 30 10:16:48 PDT 2007

Hi Lucio!

I think it is necessary to give you a hint before you start this. Every simulation tries to approach the reality of a system. That means you must know the system you want to simulate before you can select a simulation technique.

Radiance is a simulation application that was made with architectural / building models in mind. You can simulate lots of effects that are relevant in finding glare, getting the illumination levels (e.g. to decide if lighting is efficient for a given use of a space) etc. On the other hand, Radiance was not developed to e.g. model the effects of reflector or lense systems. It is a question of scale, materials, effects relevent for the application.

So what I want to explain is - it does not make sense to find out "how accurate" Radiance is. If you have a problem to solve (e.g. simulating a given type of facade, or modeling a new material), it will be easy to find out if Radiance is a suiteable tool. And only than, people will be interested in accuracy (qualitive or/and quantitive).

In other words, I am (and I guess others are, too) curious what system (building, solar system, christmas tree) you want to simulate, and what effects are important and determine accuracy for you...

Good luck, CU Lars.