[Radiance-general] dxf2rad

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Oct 23 12:39:01 PDT 2007

Jack de Valpine wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Well that is interesting about Sketchup models. And to clarify, my
> experience has really been in trying to take client built sketchup
> models and get them into something useful. So my experience biased by
> big not very well built/organized models provided by others. I guess
> the thing that I am glad to hear is that like any modeling tool, if
> well used and controlled, you can get something useful out of it.

Yeah, I got two models recently, one built in SketchUp and the other in
Revit (same project, same model extents), and the Revit one was
literally unusable in AutoCAD, much less Radiance.

> I would certainly be interested in trying your translator if and when
> you feel it is ready to share.
As a very recent licensee of SketchUp Pro, I too would be interested in
your translator, Thomas!  I'd also like to hear (maybe off-list) your
thoughts on how to model accurately in SketchUp, since it seems to still
lack direct coordinate input, UCSs, and the object snaps seem a little
lean compared to ACAD...

- Rob