[Radiance-general] Questionaire on fluorescent lamp

Minki Sung minki.sung at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 04:15:53 PDT 2007

Hello Everybody,

It's my first time to mail to the radiance mailing list.
I'm using Radiance to calculate near field illuminance (in fact radiation)
from bare fluorescent lamps.
Before doing with real mode data, I tested one with a bare fluorescent lamp
and a plan 20 centimeter away from the long and cylindrical lamp. But the
result right under the lamp was strange, that is, the other values were as I
expected but only in the area directly under the lamp the illuminance was
highest at the center and decreased gradiently as went to the end of the
lamp. For example, the illuminance was 5000 lux at the center right under
the lamp, but it decreased to 15 lux at a quarter point of the lamp,
though the two would be almost same.
Maybe I am not understanding properly the lamp description. Can you anyone
explain this to me? Or Radiance is not adequate for near field calculation
with long cylindrical lamp?

Best Regards

Minki Sung