[Radiance-general] Re: limited number of materials?

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Thu Nov 15 08:27:31 PST 2007

There is no limit on name reuse in Radiance.  Why would there be?  A
material/texture/pattern/mixture name only refers to that modifier
until it's redefined later in the scene description stream, however.
This is how Radiance avoids the problem of name reuse in multiple
files, or the same file transformed multiple times and containing
material definitions.

For example, if I used ies2rad to create a light fixture with a
distribution, then made 100 copies of that fixture using an xform
array, that would be 100 materials in the scene, all with the same
name but different definitions since they would have different
associated transformations.  This is an essential facility, though
perhaps one not many people are aware of.

I hope this makes sense.
-Greg