[Radiance-general] OT: modeling moving fenestration systems

Reinhart, Christoph Christoph.Reinhart at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 12 20:18:22 PST 2007

Hi Randolph:

Daysim allow you to simulate dynamic shading devices such as Venetian blinds (www.daysim.com). The Daysim GUI only allows you to model the blinds in either up or down states but, as Zack suggested, you can use scripting to add as many intermediate blind states as you want. For an automatically controlled system such a external louvers that are maintained in cutoff position modeling many louver slat angle states might be worthwhile. For your typical 'reference system' (manual controlled Venetian blinds), I think that an up or down state is largely sufficient since we still know relatively little about how occupants actually operate blinds. Daysim incorporates the lightswithch 2002 algorithm that aims to mimic occupant behavior based on field studies. An interesting extension of the lightswitch algorithm was proposed by Jan Wienold at the Building Simulation 2007 conference in Beijing in September. You should be able to find the paper somewhere online.

Christoph