[Radiance-general] OT: modeling moving fenestration systems

Zack Rogers zrogers at archenergy.com
Mon Nov 12 13:52:38 PST 2007

Hi Randolph,

I do not know of any software that can do this inherently.  We have modeled these types of systems with Radiance.  We use python to script up sets of Radiance runs, and within the python we have done transforms on objects before creating octrees.  There is an example of an automated vertical louver system in my presentation at this years Radiance conference.  FYI - Here is the chunk of python code that rotates the louvers.  E-mail me if you would like to see the full python script.  This is done on a time-by-time basis, so this code is in a larger loop that is going through each time step called for.

-------------------------------
	ifp = os.popen( 'gensky %s %s %s +%s %s' % (sMonth[iSeason], sDay, sTime, sSky, aTmp[0]), 'r')
        aTmp3 = string.split(ifp.read())
        fAzi = float(aTmp3[17+len(aTmpA)])-fBAzi

        # Determine slat rotation angle
        if fAzi < -45:
            fSlatAngle = 90
        elif fAzi > 45:
            fSlatAngle = 90
	else:
	    fSlatAngle = -2*fAzi

        # Write louver_rotated.rad
        fpOutFile = open ((sWorkingDir + os.sep + 'louver-temp.rad' ), 'w')
        fpOutFile.write ('!xform -rz %f scene/louver.rad' % (fSlatAngle))
        fpOutFile.close()

        # Create Octree from base octree and sky
        if fAzi < -75 or fAzi > 75:
            os.system( 'oconv -w -i %s %s >%s' % \
                       (sOctree, (sViewDir + os.sep + 'hour.sky'), \
                        (sViewDir + os.sep + 'tmp.oct')))
        else:
            os.system( 'oconv -w -i %s %s %s >%s' % \
                       (sOctree, (sViewDir + os.sep + 'hour.sky'), (sWorkingDir + os.sep + 'all-louvers.rad'), \
                        (sViewDir + os.sep + 'tmp.oct')))
-------------------------------------

In my opinion, this is one of the great things about Radiance, it is so flexible and robust.  It may take several years to fully understand everything, but when you do the options are limitless!

I hope this helps!
Zack

Zack Rogers, P.E., IESNA, LEED AP
Daylighting Analysis Group Leader