[Radiance-general] per-vertex coloring

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Thu Nov 8 11:16:02 PST 2007

On 8 Nov 2007, at 00:14, Greg Ward wrote:

> That's funny -- I didn't remember ever writing such a script, but
> sure enough, Thomas is right:
>
> 	http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2005-
> February/002444.html

Nice to be right at least once but I was thinking of your mail
about 'extraction of luminance values' from 17/08/2007, especially
the part with the coloured 3D plot at the end.

Reading it again it might not be that simple to apply to this
problem, though. My idea was to read the colour value and save
it to a known picture position, then assign this position as
UV-coordinate to the mesh vertex. The picture used as texture
should give the mesh the desired colouring.

What I probably had in mind was something Blender users can do:
create a mesh (example: a sphere), 'paint' a mouth, nose, eyes and
hair onto the sphere in 3D and 'unwrap' it to a texture image.
Then you can use Photoshop etc. to refine that sketchy image to
a proper face texture.

Applied here it would be:

1) get the mesh into Blender (...)
2) unwrap and save texture of vertex colours
3) export mesh to *.obj with uv-texture
4) convert texture image to *.pic
5) use obj2mesh to get shape and texture into Radiance

Regards,
Thomas